ReadThis will be having a board meeting toward the end of September to plan the next six months of activities. If you know of a school, workplace, hospital, military base, literacy organization, library or any other facility that needs our help getting books, PLEASE EMAIL US AT READTHISORG@GMAIL.COM BY SEPTEMBER 15TH to let us know. The recipient location can be anywhere, as long as the logistics are reasonable with this volunteer force. Please give the where, when, why, and it will be put it up for consideration.
Thank you so much for your book donations, your labor, your hosting of sites. And thank you in advance for your ideas. Below please find a list of what you accomplished so far in 2010, based on the ideas you sent the board last December.
The Board of ReadThis
– created a library of 1,524 books and counting for the Andrew Jackson Middle School in St. Bernard Parish, Louisiana, a school reopening this summer for the first time post-Katrina but which had been virtually bookless
– bought 35 copies each of Hamlet, The Chocolate War, and The Joy Luck Club for the Women’s Academy of Excellence in the Bronx to fulfill their wish for classroom use
– bought $500 work of classics for the Women’s Academy of Excellence in the Bronx, and books from some of the girls’ personal wishlists
– bought 50 copies each of The Wisdom of Insecurity and The Bell Jar, for the Science Skills Center High School in Brooklyn to fulfill their wish for those books for classroom use
– built bookshelves for The Leadership Institute in the Bronx, a high-school that had no library until ReadThis supplied one
– delivered over a dozen large boxes of brand new and gently used books for the Science Skills Center High School, a public school in Brooklyn
– through the wedding registry of ReadThis members, purchased 90 wishlist books for a classroom of the Anna Silver School on the Lower East Side of New York; 34 copies of A People’s History of the United States for New York public school, HS 600 for classroom use; 34 books for library use for Anna Silver and the St. Bernard Parish schools; plus 25% of the wish list for Andrew Jackson Middle School
-in partnership with The Center for Fiction, acquired thousands of books (achieving the numbers requested) for the Bellevue Pediatric ward; KEEN New York; Bushwick IMPACT; P.S. 54 in Bedford Stuyvesant; Women’s Academy of Excellence in the Bronx; Kingsbridge Innovative Design School; Science Skills Center High School; P.S. 20, the Anna Silver School; The Women’s Youth Leadership School in Harlem; and The Women’s Youth Leadership School in Queens
– in partnership with The Center for Fiction, purchased 35 copies each of Things Fall Apart, Three Cups of Tea, and 26 copies of Romeo and Juliet for the Women’s Academy of Excellence in the Bronx; 25 copies of How Many for P.S. 20 The Anna Silver School; 35 copies of Lorca poetry anthologies for TWYLS Harlem; and acquired 35 copies of Our Choice by Al Gore, as well as assorted books from the schools’ wish lists